North-South Environmental Inc. (NSE) is a small (8-10 staff) environmental consultancy established in 1999. We work with private and public sector clients, and to a lesser extent with NGOs, to assist them with a wide array of environmental projects. Office culture is important to us. Our office philosophy has promoted a friendly, informal atmosphere that emphasizes and values mutual support and a team approach to completing projects. Strong technical understanding is emphasized as an essential foundation to sound analysis and defensible conclusions.
We are currently looking for:
North-South Environmental Inc. (NSE) is currently looking for a senior-level ecologist. The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, experience working in a team, as well as proficiency and experience in all aspects of project management and natural heritage planning in Ontario. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will eventually become involved in the development and management of the business, as well as perform the full range of tasks associated with an environmental consultancy.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Contribute to the management of the company;
- Manage a variety of projects of various sizes including: interaction with clients, scheduling of field work and meetings, budgeting, agency liaison, etc.;
- Within the context of an Environmental Impact Study and/or peer review interpret and assess conformity with environmental policy and legislation (e.g., Provincial Policy Statement, other Provincial plans relevant to natural heritage planning, Endangered Species Act, Fisheries Act, municipal official plans, etc.)
- Undertake interpretation and critical review of environmental policy and legislation (e.g., Provincial Policy Statement, other Provincial plans relevant to natural heritage planning, Endangered Species Act, Fisheries Act, municipal official plans, etc.);
- Undertake marketing initiatives and generate new work including: recruiting clients, developing new projects and preparing proposals;
- Deliver high quality reports and other project deliverables on time and within budget;
- Mentor and train junior staff;
- Contribute to periodic management meetings;
- Contribute to the general running of the office
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Ecology, Biology, Environmental Studies or similar field;
- Strong consideration will be given to an individual with an aquatic or fisheries background who would grow that side of the business;
- Minimum 10 ten years of relevant experience preferred, including experience with the operation and development of a consulting practice;
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, policy documents and acceptable field survey protocols;
- Proven project management experience in an ecological field;
- Candidates must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, time management skills, and be fluent in use of standard Microsoft Office software.
The successful candidate will be expected to be comfortable working within a small office, working as part of an interdisciplinary team completing higher-level analysis, problem solving, and integration with other disciplines, within the context of ecological work.
Pay will be commensurate with experience and capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities, consistent with being able to fulfil the duties of the position. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume and covering letter to:
Mirek Sharp and/or Sal Spitale
35 Crawford Crescent, Suite U5,
P.O. Box 518 Campbellville, Ontario, L0P 1B0