We are currently looking for:
Full-Time Permanent Position
North-South Environmental Inc. (NSE) is currently looking for a senior–level ecologist. The successful candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, experience working in a team, as well as proficiency and experience in all aspects of project management and natural heritage consulting in Ontario. In particular, this role will require a strong understanding and experience interpreting natural heritage legislation and policies as they relate to preparing environmental studies (e.g., environmental impact studies, natural heritage evaluations, etc.) and experience with peer review of ecological studies submitted in support of development applications.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Manage a variety of projects commensurate with experience including: interaction with clients, scheduling of field work and meetings, budgeting, agency liaison, etc. Project examples include:
- Environmental Impact Studies/Assessments
- Peer reviews
- Management plans
- Environmental inspections
- Species at Risk screening reports
- Monitoring programs
- Within the context of an Environmental Impact Study and/or peer review interpret and assess conformity with environmental policy and legislation (e.g., Provincial Policy Statement, other Provincial plans relevant to natural heritage planning, Endangered Species Act, Fisheries Act, municipal official plans, etc.).
- Providing expert advice and participating in hearings as an expert witness.
- Supporting and assisting other project managers on an as-needed basis and consistent with the overall objective of NSE collectively providing the best service to clients.
- Mentoring and training more junior staff.
- Coordinating field programs, for example: breeding bird surveys, reptile surveys, amphibian breeding surveys, vegetation surveys, tree inventories, ELC surveys, wetland evaluations (OWES), bat surveys.
- Delivering high quality reports and other project deliverables on time and within budget
- Undertaking marketing initiatives and generating new work including: recruiting new clients and maintaining business relationships with existing clients, procuring new projects and preparing proposals.
- Contributing to periodic management meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS, ATTRIBUTES and EXPERIENCE
Degree in Ecology, Biology, Environmental Studies or a related field is required.
A minimum three (3) years’ experience with core tasks associated with project management in a senior role. A minimum ten (10) years of overall practical experience as an ecologist. The successful candidate must be comfortable directing both terrestrial and aquatic work. While we are open to any ecological specialty or a generalist, we are particularly interested in individual(s) with an aquatic or fisheries background who would work with us to grow that side of the business.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in:
- Interpretation and application of relevant legislation, policy documents and acceptable field survey protocols;
- Proven project management experience in an ecological field;
- Proposal writing as the lead author and project manager with proven success in being awarded project work;
- Building new client relationships through marketing initiatives and maintaining existing client relationships;
- Providing expert witness advice and expert witness testimony at hearings; and
- Managing multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
Attributes of a strong candidate:
- Highly organized;
- Detail oriented;
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking and trouble-shooting skills;
- Resilient and flexible within a work environment with changing priorities, workload and deadlines;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communication; and
- Fluent in the use of standard Microsoft Office suite software, Adobe acrobat.
The following are considered assets:
- Development-sector experience – individual lots (e.g., ORMCP NHE’s), small and medium-scale development;
- MTO Natural Environment Contract experience and RAQs certification; and
- Business development experience.
Pay will be commensurate with experience and capability.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume and covering to:
Kristen Harrison | [email protected]
Sal Spitale | [email protected]
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities, consistent with being able to fulfil the duties of the position. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
North-South Environmental Inc. (NSE) is a small (10 staff) ecological and natural heritage consultancy. Established in 1999, NSE provides high quality services to public and private sector clients, and to a lesser extent with NGOs, on a wide array of environmental projects.
Office culture is important to us. Our office philosophy promotes a friendly, informal atmosphere that emphasizes and values mutual support and a team approach to completing projects. Strong technical understanding is emphasized as an essential foundation to sound analysis and defensible conclusions.